Why the sunshine vitamin is key
Vitamin D became an important supplement in my life in May 2007 when I was diagnosed of having breast cancer. When you are a vegetarian who ran a marathon the year before (2006), the journey of having breast cancer led me to researching what can I do for myself to build a strong immune system and this research led me to the Sunshine Vitamin! This is what I found out …
Research suggests that women with low levels of vitamin D have a higher risk of breast cancer. Vitamin D may play a role in controlling normal breast cell growth and may be able to stop breast cancer cells from growing.
Another health fact which astonished me is the bone disease ‘rickets’ which is caused by a Vitamin D deficiency is rising again. Doctors believe this is a result of our indoor lifestyles!
Look at the list below to check you may be lacking in the sunshine vitamin and why taking this vitamin is vital for a healthy immune system!
* Are you tired all the time?
* Are you feeling low or depressed? In winter, so many of us suffer from seasonal affective disorder and studies have shown mood improvements when taking vitamin D.
* Your hair is thinning or falling out?
* Your bones ache. Vitamin D enables calcium absorption for strong bones.
* Wounds take longer to heal
* You fracture a bone after a minor fall
* You can’t fight off infections
Make sure you are getting enough!
* Get outside and get a daily dose of sunshine – this is the best source of vitamin D. When your bare skin is exposed to UVB rays – your body naturally starts to make Vitamin D – the best time is around midday when the sun is high up in the sky.
* Diet – eat fatty fish such as salmon especially wild salmon, tuna, mackerel, mushrooms and eggs.
* Supplements. The recommended daily supplement of 100-800 IU in winter months and if you rarely get sunlight – then I would advise taking is all year round.
Finally, all pregnant women should take Vitamin D supplements for a healthy strong baby.